HealthcareTomorrow

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Am I Competent?

Am I Competent? - Coming from a philosophy background, I pride myself on asking good questions. This is a question that has been echoing in the back of my head for a while: Am I a competent healthcare administrator? Moving past the simple answers (Yes, I am qualified for my job. No, I don't have the right experience or the right training), I think this is a question that should make every healthcare manager pause.

I am sure that many managers would attest to some of the following statements: I do what I think is best for the organization, I see the big picture, I have gotten positive feedback on my performance reviews, I manage the budget, I have increased volume. But are these enough? Have you ever asked yourself: Am I using the right tools? Are we stuck in a rut that I can't even see? Could we actually provide truly error-free care? What am I doing that is keeping the organization from succeeding? Am I not the right leader for my department at this time?

My hope is that these questions would motivate healthcare leaders to build their managerial toolboxes and take bold steps to make radical changes in their organizations. Good organizations can become great and even great organizations can strive to raise the bar. I am reminded of another question that motivates me: Have I done my best work yet? If your answer is yes, then it is time to retire. If your answer is no, then you are ready for the challenge and you have taken at least one step towards competence.

3 Comments:

  • Sep 27 2005
    StarOffice 8 takes the field. Sun says its office suite is highly compatible with MS Office docs and has OpenDocument support, as well.
    Find out how you can buy & sell anything, like things related to music on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like music!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:22 PM  

  • Darwin Gets Schooled
    Posted Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2005, at 2:48 PM PT Bloggers respond to a Pennsylvania trial about the teaching of intelligent design in public schools; they also rub their eyes at Michael Brown's continued presence ...
    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a "the rich jerk" site. It pretty much covers "the rich jerk" related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:23 PM  

  • Veteran's Day is November 11th and I hope that EVERY American will be flying the flag in honor of our troops fighting in Iraq and around the world to preserve our freedoms!

    I can even tell you where to get one for free! Visit AmericanFlags.com right now and they'll send you a FREE American Flag. These flags were $19.99, but now they are FREE. You pay just for shipping/handling and they'll ship one to your door. (Actually - I've ordered more than 20 from them to give to my neighbors, as gifts, etc!)

    Get your free flag now: **FREE AMERICAN FLAG**

    Semper Fi!

    Bill Adams

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home