HealthcareTomorrow

Monday, November 14, 2005

A Man Without a Hospital

A Man Without a Hospital - When I wrote my last post, In Good Times and Bad, I had no idea how personal our hospital’s financial turn around would become. The very next day I was told that I would be let go. This came as quite a shock and, as one would imagine, has caused some significant soul-searching.

One of the most difficult parts of this process is realizing how much of yourself you pour into your organization. It is only when we pull up and start to remove ourselves that we realize just how much of our mental and emotional energy went into the organization. Suddenly laying down your work “mid-run” is quite a shock to the system.

I have been comforted, however, through the realization that my passion for hospitals and my concern for what happens to them has not diminished. I know that I am still a hospital administrator at heart, even if I am, for a time, without a hospital.

Now this is not a personal blog, and I don’t want to dwell too much on my personal experience. While my posts reflect the issues that I think are salient, I have never wanted this endeavor to be about me. My purpose with Healthcare Tomorrow is to discuss issues that are relevant to hospitals and healthcare today with an eye to the future. I am writing this post, in the spirit of disclosure and out of a respect for my readers.

So given all of this, I would ask Healthcare Tomorrow readers to bear with me as I find a new hospital into which I can pour myself. I will continue to post and it is my hope that you will continue to read.

3 Comments:

  • Andrew,

    I'm sorry to hear the news. Please send me an e-mail with a way to get in touch with you if I hear of any opportunities.

    Good Luck.

    By Anonymous Mike Kennedy, at 8:00 AM  

  • Hey Andrew, please contact me! Chris C.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:58 PM  

  • Andrew Barna! May you be happy and wealthy always! I can't thank you enough for your post on managed healthcare! Really gave me a lot of insights!

    By Blogger Belinda Gwen, at 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home